Thursday, October 3, 2013

New York: Hoomoos Asli

The Yemeni-Yemenite conundrum continued today.  One of my favorite parts of Yemeni cuisine is the mystical pastry bread, called malawah.  It's soft and fluffy goodness and is a something between a croissant and flatbread.  It's amazing.

Yet, for some reason, I haven't seen this bread in a Yemeni restaurant outside of the Middle East.  Malawah (often also spelled mellawach) seems to be a common item at Yemenite restaurants though.  Hoomoos Asli has some Yemenite malawah sandwiches on their menu so naturally investigation was in order.

We decided to order the original version of the malawah sandwich.  It was amazing and I almost cried I was so happy to be tasting malawah again.  The Hoomoos Asli version was even more soft and gooey than usual, just how I like it!



Hoomoos Asli
100 Kenmare St
(between Mulberry St & Mott St)
New York, NY 10012
Neighborhoods: Little Italy, Nolita
+1 (212) 966-0022

No comments:

Post a Comment